Complaint Process

Oftentimes individuals will choose to file complaints against employers, businesses, or facilities when they feel that they have been discriminated against based on their disability. The process begins with filing a complaint, which may lead to an investigation, and sometimes to a settlement or court case.

We often let individuals know that there are several places to file a complaint. If they are looking at large companies or government entities, they can first file with these personally. The individual can then file a complaint with the appropriate city/county/state human rights office, and then a federal complaint. The higher the complaint goes, the longer the process will take.

Filing Federal Complaints


Individuals may file a federal complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) if it is an employment-related complaint.

The EEOC website, Filing A Charge of Discrimination, provides information on how to file a charge, what you can expect after you file a charge, and specific instructions for federal government employees and applicants.

Places of Public Accommodation, State and Local Government Entities, and elsewhere

If individuals have a complaint related to discrimination in places of public accommodation or elsewhere they can file a complaint with the Department of Justice (DOJ). The above link describes the multiple ways to file complaints with the DOJ. Individuals may also go directly to filing with the DOJ's online ADA Discrimination Complaint Form.


The Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Office of Civil Rights is responsible for civil rights compliance and monitoring of public transportation, which includes ensuring that providers properly implement Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (the ADA), the Department of Transportation (DOT) ADA regulations, and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. Rider Complaint Forms are available from the FTA Office of Civil Rights.

Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP)

Individuals who are protected by the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) may file a complaint if they believe they have been discriminated against by federal contractors or subcontractors. A complaint may also be filed by organizations or other individuals on behalf of the person or persons affected. Check out the OFCCP Complaint Information and Forms.

Filing a State Complaint in Region 10

Washington State Human Rights Commission

Oregon Civil Rights Division: Bureau of Labor and Industries (BOLI)

Idaho Commission on Human Rights

Alaska State Commission for Human Rights


Feedback Form